I've always had a pencil in my hand, but it wasn't until I landed my first job as a screen printing assistant at Homegrown Skateboards that graphic design caught my interest. After that, I spent most of my free time scheming up cool t-shirt graphics. After high school, I pursued a Bachelor of Public Relations at Mount Saint Vincent University, and snuck design elements into every project.
Since then, I have worked in communications at Dalhousie University, Langara College and the Nova Scotia Trails Federation where I redesigned websites, managed social media accounts and coordinated events.
After freelancing on the side for years, I took the plunge into full-time design studies. I graduated with a Diploma of Graphic Design from NSCC in May 2019.
When I'm not doing design stuff or drawing, I like to be active. You can find me biking gravel trails or teaching/training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and kickboxing.
Diploma in Graphic Design
Sept. 2017 – May 2019
Nova Scotia Community College | Dartmouth, NS
Bachelor of Public Relations (co-op)
Sept. 2008 – May 15, 2012
Mount Saint Vincent University | Halifax, NS
M5 Marketing Communications | Halifax, NS
Intern Graphic Designer
- Developed new creative based on client brand standards
- Resized ads for various print and digital applications
- Sourced new assets for creative projects that reflected existing tone and image for client
- Created mockups from scratch to effectively convey ideas to client stakeholders
- Compiled moodboards and decks to show creative direction to clients
- Close-cropped and edited photos to achieve high visual quality
Our Community Bikes | Vancouver, BC
Graphic & Communications Specialist
- Designed 25th anniversary emblem and merchandise.
- Redesigned pedalpower.org website to streamline user experience through refined information architecture using Wordpress.
- Worked with staff and board members to develop concise and effective written content for redesigned website.
- Created banners, sandwich boards and social media posts to improve public awareness of special events, services and bike sales.
- Refreshed existing collateral to improve branding, legibility and quality of final printed materials.
Nova Scotia Trails Federation | Halifax, NS
- Designed monthly newsletters using Mailchimp to communicate upcoming events, funding opportunities and policy changes.
- Developed and delivered social media workshop to help trail stakeholder groups engage online audience.
- Researched, planned and coordinated social media contest to encourage trail users to share their experiences.
- Managed Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts to promote upcoming events and engage new audiences.
- Drafted and proofed news releases and articles.
Nov. 2015 – May 2016
Langara College | Vancouver, BC
- Coordinated the communications and marketing accounts of of college departments and academic programs.
- Coordinated development, production, and distribution of printed marketing material, promotional items and event signage.
- Created, maintained and updated client web pages and advised clients of digital content best practices.
- Monitored social media activity and scheduled posts for various Langara programs, and events and alumni.
- Wrote news releases, course brochures, ad copy and web content for academic and administrative departments.
Dalhousie University | Halifax, NS
- Wrote and edited Dalhousie co-op office web content to streamline office site from 268 pages to 67 to improve user experience.
- Redesigned student and employer email bulletins from PDF attachments to HTML to improve communications.
- Drafted 30+ feature articles to highlight student success, recap events, provide key advice and disseminate time-sensitive information.
- Audited communications across nine forms of media to improve office-wide operational efficiency, internal knowledge and audience experience.
- Conducted focus groups, web analytics, multimedia monitoring and competitor research to inform website design and communications strategy.
Halifax Regional Municipality | Halifax, NS
Civic Event Support Coordinator
- Prepared the Bedford Days 2012 brochure event descriptions, photos, sponsor logos, and layout in preparation for print and distribution to 20,000 HRM homes.
- Wrote and released radio scripts, newspaper ads, magazine schedules and community advisories for Bedford Days, Natal Day at the Dingle, the Clam Harbour Beach Sandcastle Competition and more.
- Drafted radio scripts and brochures for distribution to 20,000 homes to increase community awareness of 7 major events.
- Monitored social media for inquiries, scheduled promotional posts and provided real-time event updates during inclement weather and schedule changes.
Choices for Youth | St. John's, NL
Communications & Development Assistant (co-op 3)
- Designed functional website graphics including icons, buttons, photos and sponsor logos.
- Drafted written content for website redesign and advised design and information architecture.
- Developed social media policy to protect client privacy and create ongoing campaign framework.
Johnson Insurance | St. John’s, NL
Communications Assistant (co-op 1 & 2)
- Drafted and proofed intranet articles for staff across Canada, measurably increasing intranet traffic during work term.
- Compiled newsletters, articles, speeches and messages from corporate leaders to increase employee engagement.
- Monitored media for industry news and compiled communications updates for executive leaders.